This session explores the difference between Fixed and Growth Mindset, and why developing children's Growth Mindset is so important.
"Growth mindset isn’t just for educational learning. It also has a profound effect on personal relationships, professional success and many other dimensions of life. The impact of growth mindset on creating mentally resilient children is why it is so important to teach them (and parents and teachers) growth mindset thinking as early as possible, and incorporate it in their approach to learning" (Dweck, 2015).
We look at strategies to support and children's Growth Mindset, and ways to encourage them to 'have a go' at challenging situations (rather than avoidance), and that, importantly, mistakes are learning and how we all grow.
We also look at helping children recognise and challenge their self-beliefs (e.g if I fail that test, it means I'm no good at maths, and I never will be), and rather, build a 'not quite yet' belief (still achievable).
Kate Foster, the facilitator, has a Bachelor of Social Science (Children & Family Studies/Psychology), and is passionate about supporting children and families. She has worked as a Family Counsellor for the last 6 years, and has over 20 years experience working in early childhood organisations.
Kate is also an trained 1,2,3 Magic & Emotion Coaching facilitator.
For enquiries, please contact Kate - firstname.lastname@example.org
This session can be also be used for Professional Development, Certificate of Attendance can be provided, please advise if required.
Venue - 184 Marine Tce (City Hive)
Date and time- 20th of August, 6pm -8pm
Angie and Kate from Kids Hub are trained facilitator’s of Engaging Adolescents.
The course covers parenting skills for resolving teenage communication and behaviour problems - This is a 3 part course and requires attendance at all sessions, please consider this when reserving your place.
The course will run for 3 Mondays, starting the 2nd of September (then 9th & 16th), from 5:30pm - 7:30pm, and includes nibbles lots of laughter and a take home work book with your notes in it.
The cost of this course is FULLY FUNDED by Parenting Connection WA (normally $120 per family), and the venue kindly provided by Dongara District High School
This session is a revamped version of our - Understanding and supporting children experiencing Anxiety. The session contains NEW information and strategies gained from Kate and Angie attending Maggie Dent's recent Calming Today's Anxious Kids Conference.
The session covers:
- the types of anxiety, and when to seek help
- contributors, and ways to reduce them
- indicators. Some anxiety is part of normal childhood development, however we explore signs to look out for.
- whats happening in the brain, patterns of behaviour and the anxiety cycle (and how to interrupt and change the cycle)
- what doesn't work, we will look at how the importance of being aware of the language used, labeling and validation of feelings
- PRACTICAL strategies to support the child. These strategies are research and evidence based, with resources provided
- Growth Mindset, and resilience factors
- ways for the whole family to be supported. Anxiety can be exhausting for everyone! We will cover ways for parents/caregivers/educators to reduce their stress and remain calm.
*This workshop may be helpful for families and children that are experiencing worries about entering a new year/classroom at school next year"
This session will be held at City Hive, 184 Marine Tce, on the 11th of November 2019 6:00pm - 7:30pm.