Kids Hub Mindful Awareness Parent Course -
5 x 2 hr sessions commencing on the 24th July (9:30am -11:30am)
MAP™ is a nationally run parenting workshop developed by Dr Rebecca Coleman which aims to promote the emotional connections between parents and young children (birth - 5 yrs old).
This parent course is fully funded by Parenting Connections WA and will have a creche provided.
This introduction session explores
- what is Mindfulness (and what its not!)
- the evidence based research of the benefits of Mindfulness
- the brain science of Mindfulness (the amazing ways it can change the structure of the brain, at any age!)
- how this brain change can help us react less, yell less, and become calmer with our children and their behaviour
- how Mindfulness can be applied for positive outcomes for everyone - as a parent, as an Educator (teaching children as well as ourselves), in the workplace
- how Mindfulness strategies can assist children or young adults in managing anxiety, stress and emotional outbursts.
This will be facilitated by Kate Foster, a qualified Family Counsellor, who has completed Accredited training in the application of evidence based Mindfulness strategies.
Kate also holds a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
This session will be held on the 27th of August, at City Hive (184 Marine Terrace), from 6:15pm - 7:45pm.
Please bring a pillow and blanket!
This workshop will explore -
- the types of anxiety, and when to seek help
- contributors, and ways to reduce them
- indicators. Some anxiety is part of normal childhood development, however we explore signs to look out for.
- whats happening in the brain, patterns of behaviour and the anxiety cycle (and how to interrupt and change the cycle)
- what doesn't work, we will look at how the importance of being aware of the language used, labelling and validation of feelings
- PRACTICAL strategies to support the child. These strategies are research and evidence based, with resources provided
- ways for the whole family to be supported. Anxiety can be exhausting for everyone! We will cover ways for parents/caregivers/educators to reduce their stress and remain calm.
Kate Foster, the facilitator, has a Bachelor of Social Science (Children & Family Studies/Psychology), and is passionate about supporting children and families with anxiety. She has worked as a Family Counsellor for the last 6 years, and has over 20 years experience working in early childhood organisations; supporting children and families.
This session will be held at City Hive, 184 Marine Tce, on the 3rd of September, 6:00pm - 7:30pm.