This session will run on the 5th of June, 6-8pm, at City Hive, 184 Marine Terrace.
Why attend this session?
There is so much research out there about the benefits of Mindfulness for children and teens -
The benefits of mindfulness with children
“Research shows that mindfulness training increases connectivity in the frontal lobe of the brain, which is linked to improved attention, memory processing and decision making abilities.
Mindfulness training involves tuning in to internal and external experiences with curiosity resulting in increased self-awareness, social awareness, and self-confidence.
Mindfulness training increases children’s ability to self-regulate their emotions, especially difficult emotions such as fear and anger, through breathing and other grounding techniques.
Mindfulness has been shown to improve empathy or the ability to understand what another person is thinking or feeling, which improves children’s awareness of others and helps them to build positive relationships.” Kidsmatter - https://www.kidsmatter.edu.au/mental-health-matters/mindfulness
We live in an ever increasing busy world, we are busy, our children our busy, there are very few moments to just “be”. This busyness is not good for us, there are increased stress levels, increased reactivity and emotional outbursts, more anxiety and decreasing mental health levels.
By attending this session you will learn –
· What is Mindfulness? And what its not.
· The benefits of Mindfulness for children and teens.
· How to teach them to practice Mindfulness.
· Mindfulness practices for ourselves.
· When Mindfulness not a good thing, and other strategies to use. Meditation is not for everyone, and is just ONE way to practice Mindfulness!
· Strategies and resources to use in your home with your children, or if you work with children, to use in your school or other workplace.
Kate Foster, the facilitator, is a Family Counsellor who holds a Bachelor of Social Science (Children & Family Studies/Psychology).
She has attended various training in Mindfulness, including –
· Mindful Awareness Parent Course facilitator training http://www.maplinc.com.au/
· Acceptance and Commitment therapy training with Dr Russ Harris https://thehappinesstrap.com/
· Mindfulness in the Classroom https://www.mindfulmeditationaustralia.org.au/
This session can be used as Professional Development, please advice is a certificate of attendance is required.